Monday, January 30, 2012

The little things

The past two weeks of travel have been nothing short of the most interesting experience of my life. I'm amazed by what I've been able to learn about not only others but myself through spending time with people of all different backgrounds and all different paths of life. Throughout my time in Nicaragua, I was granted do many opportunities to taste, see, and experience the way other people were living. The one thing that struck me most though, was the willingness of the Nicaraguan people to assist me through my journey. Whether it be letting me borrow a book in Ometepe, or encouraging my Spanish speaking in San Juan, or allowing me to keep my bags with me on the bus in Granada, the people I have been surrounded with show a kind of interest in helping one another that is not often shown at home. Today begins my journey with the school for field studies, where I plan to carry out "The little things" theme I have been fortunate enough to have been exposed to. Costa Rica already seems extremely different than Nicaragua in terms f it's infrastructure, temperature, and culture, but appreciating the little things, and going out of my way to perform them for other people can remain universal.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lindsay,

    My name is Kay Johnson and I am a senior at MC. I've also spent a lot of time traveling abroad. After reading your post about "The Little Things", I wanted to know what "little thing" do you miss the most from back home?

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lindsay,

    This is Tiesha Anderson. It sounds like you are havinga great time. How do you think those "little things" will help you in different leadership roles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very interesting to see the difference between a Linear active country such as the United States versus the multiactive countries of central America. It is clear that the friendliness of the people is their importance on forming key relationships prior to accomplishing the task. The linear active aspect of the United States forces us to think that this is ineffective and the task must be completed first.

    ReplyDelete