Monday, February 13, 2012

More berries, more problems

The past week, similarly to every week, has been an absolute whirlwind. The School for Field Studies absolutely knows how to jam pack as much learning and traveling in to three months as possible. In the recent days we have traveled to Monteverde cloud forest national park to perform our first field experiment. After an orientation hike around the beautiful forest that ended with an amazing view overlooking the continental divide, we paired up and came up with experiments to be performed the following day (Saturday). My lovely partner Sarah and I decided to measure the amount of productivity of the chamadorea tepejilote plant based on the percentage of light that its highest leaves were able to obtain. While a simple idea, and a simple experiment, it was extremely hard for us to come up with something to test. That task alone required observation, creativity, and freedom – all of which are things that aren’t typically encouraged in a standard lab class. Past science lectures and labs have made me an excellent direction follower and data recorded, yet looking at nature and asking my own questions proved to be quite a challenge; one that I wish I had been challenged with before. I often focus on getting the lab, or task, done by following directions and putting my own questions and creativity on the back burner, but being in control of answering my own doubts or validating my own predictions has proved to be energizing.
Our project was simple – counting the amount of berries on each plant (anywhere from zero to 400 on 75 different plant samples) and then taking a picture facing upward with fisheye lens which will transfer onto software in order to measure percentage of light. Today we will process all the data in order to analyze the data and hopefully prove our hypothesis. Although most of the paper writing has not occurred, I already feel closer to this lab than I do to most, because it is mine. This style of learning is extremely difficult for me as an “in the box” thinker, but it certainly is encouraging me to grow in ways that weren’t yet on my personal growth list of goals. Field studies is a challenging concept but one that I am growing more and more appreciative of.
On a side note – Monteverde was BEAUTIFUL and I adored it. Also, yesterday I volunteered at a chili cook off in the town where we are living, which over 1,000 people attended! It was such an amazing community activity (although most of the community members were retired Americans), all of whom shared their stories about loving Costa Rica and all is has to offer. It felt great to volunteer and to meet the people that make up the area that I live in. Tasting over 30 different kinds of chili wasn’t too bad either. Last night I was able to speak with my parents and some friends from home which was also extremely energizing. It’s hard to maintain a balance between living in the present and appreciating my current environment while still attending to my relationships at home, but there is nothing better than talking to my mom for an hour on a Sunday. Sunday catch ups have proven to be an amazing start to the week, which aren’t quite short of amazing themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment