Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Home stay plus some

It's been some time since the past blog, more because of lack of internet than lack of time, but for once I snagged a computer!

Two weekends ago, I spent a weekend with one of the kindest, most caring people I have ever met in my life. Emilce, a woman of about 70 years old was my home stay mother. Conviniently for me, she lives about two blocks down the road from the center, and is the aunt of one of my favorite staff members here. Her life was so unique to me, within approximately a two block radius from her house, six of her six children and their families resided, along with at least five of her ten siblings. Everywhere we walked, looked, or traveled to was filled with family members and their family members, all of whom were both welcoming and complimentary. Not one of her or her family members spoke a word of English, which was an amazing experience for me. I had asked to stay with a family who wouldn't speak to me in English and that is exactly what I got.

Upon arriving at Emilce's house, we talked for hours. Actually, that is mostly all we did. While some students went to the beach or hiked, Emilce and I talked about our families, her husband, my lack of a boyfriend, religion - anything and everything. She continuosly complemented me on my communication skills, which I felt could still be enhanced (but I have to admit, I was a little impressed with myself). We drank coffee and cooked, she taught me how to make different kinds of bread, we napped and talked some more, walked around, visited, and did all things that retired 70 year old women do. It was nothing short of the perfect weekend. This past Friday, Emilce came to our host family thank you dinner, and our adoration for each other certainly didn't fade. She is very concerned about my mother traveling here speaking no Spanish, and of course offered a room for her to stay in if she needed one. Also, since my mom will be leaving on Easter, I am going to stay with her that night. I can't imagine a bigger blessing having walked into my life. Emilce and her family made me feel at home in a totally new way (which was enhanced by the incredible wifi and hot shower) and I could not be more grateful for having met them.

The week after the home stay weekend we had reviews and midterm exams, which made me realize how quickly this semester is flying by. Over the past weekend we had a weekend away, and I traveled to the Miami beach esk beach called Jaco where I got to relax on the beach and eat some of the most delicious sushi I've ever consume. This upcoming weekend we have a hiking/camping trip to Santa Rosa national park, followed by a few days of classes, a week long trip to Panama, another weekend away, and Spring Break. It's so incredible all the things they cram in to three months.

Last night, we watched a documentary called "Food Inc.", one I would encourage anyone to watch. While it didn't inspire me to be a vegetarian, it did make me understand why a lot of people would want to be. There were a few different things that I wrote down during the film that I thought spoke to our culture and government
  • "We've become a culture of technicians" one farmer stated, in regard to a problem with cows having e.coli. Factory farm raised cows are fed corn, which is not part of their diet, and that creates ecoli in their stomachs. If they cows started to eat grass, 85% of this e.coli would go away, and they would be eating what they're biologically wired to eat. Instead, companies have developed meat fillers that kill the ecoli, which in my opinion is absolutely repulsive. Ammonium is used to wash out all of the meat, when it could just be avoided in the first place. This technology, in my opinion, is in no way sustainable.
  • 1 in 3 children born after the year 2000 will develop early onset diabetes, and 1 in 2 in minority groups. This is attributed to the high costs of healthy food in relation to the low costs of processed fatty foods. I could go on about this for hours, but I think the statistics speak for themselves. But I do have to add in, if people can't afford healthy food, how might they afford medicine to keep their diabetic children healthy?
  • In certain meat packing factories in North Carolina, they are busing employees in from 100 miles away due to the dangers that come from working there. Almost all employees have contracted some type of infection or disease and are forced to leave. In a highly impoverished area with tons of unemployment, having to look 100 miles away for people willing to risk disease is just unfair.
  • It is illegal to publish pictures of any factory farms or meat packing companies. This absolutely blows my mind. Sex tapes and personal photos of celebrities, the president, or absolutely anyone can be on the cover of a tabloid or the headline of E! News, but it is illegal to show the country what we are eating? That, is just scary.
  • Not as scary though, as the fact that as of 20 years ago, the USDA has no authority to shut down any factories that have consistent outbreaks of e.coli or any other disease. Prior to this law, the USDA would shut down any company that had more than 3 outbreaks, because it was evident that their system was  not sanitary. This is no longer the case. If the USDA has absolutely no authority to halt infectious food from being produced and sold, who does? They literally have zero power over the five meat packing companies that produce the meat for the entire nation.
After watching this movie, I was at a loss for words. I just don't understand when we became so complacent. In my opinion, the founders of our country would be appalled that we sit back and allow some 100 people to take over our lives, and control the most important thing in the world - food.

9 comments:

  1. Lindsay --
    Do you think that the relationship that you have established with Emilce is one that is out of the ordinary in the culture you are experiencing? I know Costa Rica is more multiactive, so it didn't surprise me to read how close you had become with this woman, or how much time you spent relaxing and talking... but I know that for you coming from a linear active culture that was definitely something new!

    I'm glad you're having so much fun! Enjoy it before it's over :)
    - Kym

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay,
    Great to hear that you have been having such an amazing time! It's crazy to think that about how long ago we were in Nicaragua and the fact that you haven't been back since!

    I was really interested in your reactions to the video you watched. I feel like I will always second guess the quality of my food now. This may be a stretch, but I was trying to connect this to Uncertainty Avoidance in the U.S. According to the GLOBE studies, the U.S is a rather accepting nation, but I question if we are as accepting as we think. As you said, too many Americans are becoming complacent, and I think that it is because we would rather accept what is given versus looking into a troubling issue and opening a new can of worms. All this to say, that I feel like Americans are much more uncertainty avoidant than we think. Any thoughts you could share on that after being abroad and maybe looking back at the U.S from an outside point of view?

    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsay,
    Sounds awesome where you are!

    In class we had talked about how open, relationally driven, and welcoming multi-active countries are and so I'm not surprised to hear that you found such comfort in Emilce and her family. Just curious what you think are the major differences between a multi-active country such as theirs and a linear active country such as the U.S are. Do you think we must come off hostile now that you've experienced both?

    Also, I liked your comments on the meat production. Just wondering if there was conflict there concerning these issues, or why you are studying this. In microbiology we talk a lot about food production and it seems as though simple logic could fix many of their problems...wonder why it's so difficult.

    Well keep having fun!
    Mattie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that home stays are the ABSOLUTE BEST part of traveling - honestly I prefer living with people to living in a hotel. When I traveled with choir last summer, we stayed with home stays every night and I totally know what you mean by loving the experience of being embraced by a family (granted, we were traveling in the US, but you know what I mean). I am so jealous of you getting to cook and bake with Emilce - I bet it was delicious, and you'll have to bring in your newfound knowledge to the OCE when you get back!

    Also, about Food Inc. - yeah, isn't that terrifying? The corn thing absolutely disgusts me, especially since our government subsidizes corn, which makes it easier for farmers to grow the corn that feed cattle than any other crop, meaning less fresh and local crops for everyone. The whole system needs re-organized, but how do you change a system from the inside? That is one of the questions I discussed last summer in the job I had. We watched King Corn, which is also a good documentary, if you thought Food Inc. was interesting.

    Anyway, I hope you are having an amazing time (which you obviously are), and we miss you here!

    Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindsay,

    It's great to hear that you're having a wonderful time and learning so much! I am so jealous of all of the experiences you're having and the places you're getting to go. Meeting such an inspirational woman such as Emilce makes your journey even better! We talked in class about how close multi-active people are to their families and how family and community in multi-active culture are emphasized.

    I was wondering if what you did with Emilce was very planned out or if it seemed like there were no plans and you spontaneously spent your time? If your time was spent spontaneously and wasn't really planned out- how did that feel different from how your time is planned at Marietta College in a more linear active and less relaxed kind of culture.

    Hope that the rest of your time is just as great!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait for you to come back! I miss you more than you know. Anyways we discussed a lot in 203 about multi-active cultures who are very relationship driven and they tend to focus a lot on family. Do you think this is why Emilce is that way or do you think it is just because she's a nice person. Since there are people just as nice in the United States. Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip when you get back to the porch!

    LITD
    Kiki

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hola Lindsay,

    I am so proud of all your progress with Spanish and such great interest in traveling and living in Latin America. Your blog shows all that you are learning in your program, all that you are absorbing from living abroad and how these very human experiences are helping shape your own existence. Please send email or blog some more about your more recent adventures! Enjoy every second!

    I chatted with your mom after her visit with you and we both had tears in our eyes thinking about how much you have grown up since you were a dual language 5th grader. Can't wait to see you when you get back.

    Sra. Mayo Molina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Lindsay,

    It sounds like you've been having some great experiences that have really spoken to you and have had an awesome impact on your life. As many other 203 students have mentioned, these posts relate a lot to the idea of multi-active cultures. Everything you've said about the people during your stay seems to relate to the multi-active model, and I hope that, if you find yourself comfortable with this style, you'll be able to adjust to the linear-active, less personable, American life again.

    As to the issues you found with the meat industry (and food in general), I have to admit, I'm always someone who doesn't get turned against food by learning these things about it, but at the same time, this is one of the reasons I am confused by people who eat store-bought meat but are completely against the idea of hunting. My family eats mostly venison, shot by my dad and then processed in our garage. It's in no way crueler than what happens to those cows, and it's so much healthier to consume.

    Anyway, good luck with your remaining time, and good luck coming back.

    -Taylor Bugglin

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am impressed how welcoming and inviting this woman seems to be. In our society, we are considered a high-trust society but older women do not typically take in random foreigners and drink coffee and cook with them. I am not surprised, however, by the welcoming feeling that is evident in this muli-active culture.

    I am interested to know how your detailed plans worked out down there. In the U.S., it is easy to make specified plans about what you are doing each weekend with specific start / end times. Down there I think it would be more difficult to make longer, drawn out plans because people may change their minds of just not show up on time to leave.

    In regards to the video you mentioned, one of your points was that its illegal to publish a picture of the manufacturing process. That is because these are trade secrets, individual to each company. Just like you can go onto an oil rig and take pictures, this information is top secret. However, the fact that the USDA can't shut unsanitary factories terrifies me. Hopefully there's another organization that has some jurisdiction.

    -Matt Johnson

    ReplyDelete